What is ovulation induction?
Ovulation induction uses hormonal therapy to induce ovulation by encouraging eggs to develop in the ovaries and be released increasing womans chances to get pregnant through timed intercourse or intrauterine insemination(IUI).
Who is suitable for ovulation induction?
- Women who dont ovulate or have irregular cycles because of polycystic ovaries ,stress and other reasons
- Women who ovulate but we want to increase the number of eggs produced to increase the chances of conception.
- All the women must have a thorough evaluation prior to ovulation induction.The fallopian tubes must be normal and all (if there is any)hormonal disorders must be treated.
- Partners semen analysis must be normal
What medication is used ?
For ovulation induction we use:
- oral medications like Clomid(clomiphene citrate)or Letrozole which are our first line of treatment
- Injectable hormones (gonadotrophins).We use them if the oral medication has failed or if we want to produce more eggs.The cost is higher and there is increased chance of ovarian hyperstimulation and multiple pregnancy.This is the reason these women should be monitored closely during the treatment.
- Another hormone HCG is used to trigger ovulation once the follicles have reached an appropriate size.
Monitoring of ovulation induction
The cycle is monitored very closely with vaginal ultrasounds and blood tests(if needed)to check the number and size of follicles developing.When the follicles reach the appropriate size we will advise you the most appropriate day for timed intercourse or intrauterine insemination.